Instructions & Fire Plan, Op. Orders 149
1/6th Black Watch, Beaumont Hamel, Nov 1916
This photograph shows the reference map of German trench positions and objectives described in Operation Orders No. 149 for the attack by 1/6th Battalion, Black Watch, on Beaumont Hamel, 13 November 1916. The original is held at the Black Watch Museum.
Black Watch Museum
High Resolution Image:
These "Instructions with regard to Operations" are retyped from an original document attached to Operations Order No. 149, housed in the archive of the Black Watch Museum, which detailed the objectives for 1/6th Black Watch's attack on Beaumont Hamel which took place on 13th November 1916.
Instructions with regard to Operations
1. "A" and "B" Coys. will move off by platoons at 1.30 p.m. and will relieve Support Coy. and left Coy. respectively of the Battalion at present in the lines. This relief will be complete by 5 p.m. with the exception of the posts in the front line, which will be relieved at 6 p.m. Two Lewis Guns will accompany each of these Coys., but will not take over any positions in the line.
2. "C" and "D" Coys. will move off by platoons at 3 p.m. and will take up postion in ST.JOHN'S ROAD and POMPADOUR respectively. Three Lewis Guns will accompany each of these Coys.
3. Route for the above movements; Lane P.18.a.9.5. - MAILLY CHURCH - AUCHONVILLERS STN.
4. Each platoon will send a carrying party to THURLES DUMP at 6 p.m. to carry teas. A similar party will also be sent to THURLES DUMP at 10 p.m. to carry up hot drinks.
5. By 12 midnight all four Coys. will be in their position of assembly. Route and time of starting to be arranged by Coy. Commanders.
6. Runners from each Coy. and Section will come to Battalion Battke Headquarters at 6.45 p.m. tonight and at 2.15 a.m. to synchronise watches.
7. At 6.15 a.m. Coys will report at Battalion Headquarters that they are in position and that their water-bottles are full. Every man must be warned of the paramount importance of self-control as regards drinking water from his water-bottle.
8. Platoon bombing parties will draw their bomb buckets before leaving camp and will draw their bombs under the Battalion Bombing Sergeant at STOCKTON DUMP and rejoin their Coys. immediately. Each party will draw 70 No.5, + 10 "P". (a line was then deleted).
9. 1 Officer and 1 platoon of 1/7th Black Watch will be attached to "A" Coy. and 1 Officer and 1 platoon will be attacked to "B" Coy for the attack.
10. 1 Officer and 10, 1/7th Black Watch, will be at the disposal of O.C. Lewis Gun Section, as a fatigue party.
11. O.C. Coys will select 5 specialists to remain behind, furnishing a nominal role to the Adjutant.
The Lewis Gun Officer will similarly select six N.C.O.'s or men to remain behind.
Adjutant, 1/6th Battalion The Black Watch
12 November, 1916
Fire Plan Op. Order 149
Amended Time Table
|3.30pm||Gas will be discharged from 50 mortars in WELINGTON TRENCH on Y RAVINE.
(There is a note in a column to the right which reads “Only if wind is between NW and SSW.)
|4am||Units will be formed up ready to attack.|
|0hrs||Barrage will commence on German First Line, heavies on 2nd Line. Sap S will be blown. 1st wave gets under barrage, 2nd wave gets close behind 1st wave.|
|+5mins||Barrage lifts off Southern Corner of salient which is assaulted.|
|+6mins||Barrage lifts to 2nd German Line and 1st Line is assaulted.|
|+11mins||Barrage lifts to 3rd,German Line and 2nd,Line is assaulted.|
|+16mins||Barrage commences to creep back and 3rd Line is assaulted.|
|+36mins||Barrage reaches 4th Line (Green Line 1st objective).|
|+41mins||Barrage lifted 150 yds. beyond 4th Line which is assaulted.,Barrage remains 150 yds beyond 4th (green Line) until -|
|+1hr. 1min||Barrage ceases.|
|+1hr. 6mins||Barrage recommences.|
|+1hr. 21mins||Barrage ceases.|
|+1hr. 26mins||Barrage recommences.|
|+1hr. 36mins||Barrage ceases.|
|+1hr. 41mins||Barrage recommences.|
|+1hr. 51mins||Barrage ceases.|
|+1hr. 56mins||Barrage recommences at internes rate, Coys, for assault on yellow line move forward.|
|+1hr. 58mins||Barrage commences to creep back 100 yds per 5 mins.|
|+2hr. 41mins||Barrage reaches yellow line (Final Objective).|
|+2hr. 45mins||Barrage lifts 150 yds. beyond yellow Line which is assaulted. Barrage keeps on 150 yds. Beyond yellow line covering consolidation.|