A brief history
The Black Watch Regiment has its origins in the independent compaies raised from 1725. The were embodied into the Highland Regiment in 1739 and numbered the 42nd in 1751. The received the Royal Prefix, becoming the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment on 1758. A second Battalion formed in 1758 was numbered the 73rd in 1786 and became the 2nd Battalion in 1881.
From 1861 Black Watch was included in their title and in 1881 they became the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) and later (Royal Highland Regiment).
The historic recruiting is Perth, Kinross, Fife and Angus.