128TH (HIGHLAND) FIELD REGIMENT R.A.
A Short History, 1908-1946
This short account of 128th (Highland) Field Regiment R.A. is taken from "The story of an artillery Regiment of the 51st Highland Division" privately printed in 1989 and made available by John Lang, a former member of the Regiment.
Lord Haldane's reorganisation of the territorial forces in 1908 created the Royal Field Artillery (RFA) making the distinction between them and garrison artillery. The 3rd (Highland) Howitzer Brigade R.F.A. (TF) based in Greenock and Cathcart fought with the 51st Highland Division in World War I. They were renamed the 77th (Highland) Field Brigade R.F.A. (TA) in 1921. In 1938 they became the 77th (Highland) field regiment RA (TA)
With the doubling of the TA in 1939 a 2nd Line Regiment, 128th (Highland) Field Regiment R.A. was formed, in part from members of 77th (Highland) Field Regiment RA (TA), as a part of the 9th Highland Division. With the outbreak of war the 77th (Highland) Field Regiment RA (TA) did not go with the 51st Highland Division but with the 4th Division, being evacuated with them from Dunkirk and remaining with this Division throughout the war.
As a part of the 9th Highland Division the 128th (Highland) Field Regiment R.A. thus became part of the new 51st Highland Division when the 9th Highland Division was reconstituted. as the 51st Highland Division after St.Vallery. the Regiment was brought up to three batteries, 307, 308 and a new 492 Battery. The 4.5" Howitzers were replaced with French 75mm guns but these in turn were replaced with 25 pounders by early 1941.
In March 1942 they moved down with the Division to Aldershot where they were issued with tropical kit, though the destination remained mystery, and continued training. In June the Regiment embarked on the Duchess of Richmond to begin the journey that would take them to North Africa and El Alamein.
128th (Highland) Field Regiment R.A remained with the 51st Highland Division throughout North Africa, Sicily and North west Europe until he end of the war. They disbanded in Germany in 1946 reforming as 328th (Highland) Medium regiment RA in the Glasgow area.